STORM LAKE, Iowa.—The Fontbonne University men's basketball team closed out its trip to Iowa with a 103-68 loss against unbeaten Buena Vista on Saturday.
Final: Buena Vista 103, Fontbonne 68
Location: Storm Lake, Iowa
Records: Buena Vista 4-0, Fontbonne 0-3
How It Happened
In the first half, the Beavers opened with a 16-7 lead at the 15:47 mark and that forced the Griffins to take a timeout. Out of the break, Buena Vista continued to hold onto its lead and stretched it out to 36-21 with 6:07 remaining on Garrett Sittner's layup.
From there, the Beavers maintained its double-digit lead and headed into the locker room on top, 54-31. The Griffins shot 40.0 percent from the floor in the first half, however, the Beavers offense was rolling along with a 57.6 field goal percentage and outrebounded Fontbonne, 18-13. Timothy Jeffries led all scorers with 18 points.
In the second half, the Griffins upped its field goal percentage to 44.8 percent but went just 10-of-17 from the line and were outrebounded 23-13. With the Beavers controlling the glass and shooting 41.7 percent in the final 20:00 minutes of play they were able to go on for the 35-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne finished with a 42.6 field goal percentage. The team went just 3-of-12 from downtown and 19-of-32 from the free throw line.
- Buena Vista ended with a 49.3 field goal percentage.
- The Beavers hit 10 3-pointers, went 25-of-28 from the charity-stripe and held a 46-29 advantage on the glass.
- Caden Clark recorded his third straight double-digit game with a team-high 13 points on 5-of-7 shooting.
- Jalen Wadlington added 10 off the bench.
- Domonic Doolin went 5-of-6 from the line to finish with nine points.
Buena Vista Leaders
- Timothy Jeffries recorded a game-high 26 points on 8-of-11 shooting.
- DJ McNeal came off the bench to end with 19 points, while Noah Schmitt and Michael Demers finished with 13 and 10 points.
The Griffins return to the court on November 19th when they'll visit University of Illinois-Springfield for an exhibition contest. Tip-off at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).