MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa.— Despite Jared Woodcock tying his career-high with 33 points, the Fontbonne University men's basketball team fell 87-79 against Iowa Wesleyan on Wednesday night.
Score: Fontbonne 79, Iowa Wesleyan 87
Where: Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Records: Fontbonne (9-15; 7-10 SLIAC), Iowa Wesleyan (7-17; 5-12 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first half, after the Tigers jumped ahead early, the Griffins regained a 13-11 lead on Woodcock's 3-pointer at the 12:43 mark. The team continued to maintain its advantage up until 4:22 when Jake Neubauer hit his 3-pointer to put IWU on top, 26-23.
Fontbonne went on to regain the lead at 29-28 with 2:32 remaining on Woodcock's layup, but the Tigers closed out the half on a 7-3 run to lead by five (36-31) at the break.
In the second half, the Tigers opened on a 9-4 run in three minutes and 50 seconds to own a 45-35 lead. Fontbonne, though continued to chip away at the lead and eventually tied it up at 57-57 on Carter Collins' layup at 10:19.
The two teams went bucket-for-bucket as the clock continued to tick away, but the Griffins were still right there all square at 72-72 on Gus Kleekamp's made jumper with 3:18 to go. However, the Tigers regained the lead on Alberto Torres going 1-of-2 from the line on the ensuing possession and never relinquished it from there en route to the eight-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot 33.7 percent from the floor and controlled the glass.
- The team pulled down a season-high 24 offensive rebounds and finished with a 54-45 advantage.
- The Griffins totaled 44 points in the paint, while the Tigers were limited to 22.
- IWU shot 35.8 percent from the field. The Tigers did hit 12 3-pointers and went 27-of-39 (69.2 percent) from the charity-stripe.
- Woodcock went 11-of-25 from the floor to finish with a game-high 33 points.
- Jalen Wadlington came off the bench to go 4-of-12 to conclude with 12 points.
- Luke DeLine was the final player in double-figures with 10 points and nine boards.
- Gus Kleekamp also just missed out on a double-double with eight points and a game-high 13 rebounds.
Iowa Wesleyan Leaders
- Jake Neubauer led with a team-high 19 points on 4-of-17 shooting.
- Alberto Torres shot 40.0 percent from the field and 7-of-10 from the line to finish with 18 points and nine rebounds.
- Alex Dentlinger (16) and Brian Patterson (10), were the final players in double-figures.
- The Griffins close out its 2018-19 season in front of the home crowd on Saturday as they'll take on Spalding. Tip-off at 3 p.m., on Senior Day.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).