MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa.—The Fontbonne University baseball team extended its winning streak out to three and won its fifth out of its last six after defeating Iowa Wesleyan, 10-2.
Score: Fontbonne 10, Iowa Wesleyan 2
Location: Mount Pleasant, Iowa.
Records: Fontbonne (20-8; 7-5 SLIAC), Iowa Wesleyan (7-23-1; 5-13 SLIAC)
How It Happened
Matt Tossick brought home the games first run with an RBI single to make it 1-0. Tyler Grimes kept the hit parade going with an RBI single of his own. After Matt Manint totaled the fifth straight single to load up the bases, Brandon Hinson tallied an RBI single to left and extend the advantage out to 3-0.
The seventh consecutive single of the inning came off the bat of Jonathan Hoevelmann as that brought home Manint. Jackson Penrod closed the inning out with a two RBI double to clear the bases and put Fontbonne well out in front, 6-0.
From there, the team added another in the third and two more in the fifth to own a 9-0 lead. The Tigers got on the board in the bottom of the seventh on Nick Salas' solo homer to break the shutout.
Salas added another RBI single in the eighth, but the Griffins brought home another run in the ninth on Gus Purschke's RBI single to make it a 10-2 final.
- Luke Summers improved to 8-2 on the year after going 8.0 innings, allowing two runs on five hits and sitting down six. His eighth win on the year is a new career-high and ties the single-season record at Fontbonne.
- Jake Jump came out of the pen and struck out one in the ninth.
- Offensively, Penrod led with two RBI.
- Hoevelmann, Dobbs, Tossick, and Manint scattered two hits each.
- Seven of the nine hitters in the lineup had at least one RBI.
Iowa Wesleyan Notables
- Kobe Macpherson had his first start on the year and went the distance allowing 10 runs (eight earned) on 13 hits.
- Salas led them offensively with a 2-for-4 performance and one RBI.
- The two teams are back at it for a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).