ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University baseball team picked up a split against Principia on Tuesday evening with the Griffins taking game one 6-1, though the Panthers won the late nightcap, 11-7. The win over Principia in game one also was Coach Good's 250th at Fontbonne.
Score: Fontbonne 6, Principia 1
Location: ABC Park
Records: Fontbonne 17-7 (4-4 SLIAC), Principia 5-11 (2-5 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the bottom of the first, the Griffins didn't take long to get on the board. After Jonathan Hoevelmann and Luke Summers each singled to right, Hoevelmann went on to steal third. On the play, the catcher throw went wild, allowing Hoevelmann to score.
Principia tied the game in the second, but the Griffins added two runs in the bottom half on RBI groundouts from Matt Manint and Hoevelmann.
In the third, the bases were loaded with one out for Gus Purschke. He ripped a double to left, plating Braeden Dobbs and Matt Tossick to extend the lead out to 5-1. Manint followed with an RBI groundout and now Fontbonne led 6-1.
That was more than enough for starter Alex Phillips as the junior hurler struck out a season-high 11, including three in his final inning as the Griffins went on for the five-run victory.
- Phillips earned his fifth win overall after going 6.0 innings, allowing one run and striking out his season-high 11.
- Purschke, Jackson Penrod, and Summers had two hits each.
- Manint and Purschke tied with two RBI.
- Stephen Strong led with two hits offensively.
- Starter Chris Stamos fell to 1-2 after allowing six runs and striking out seven in 5.0 innings pitched.
Score: Principia 11, Fontbonne 7
Location: Shaw Park
Records: Principia 6-11 (3-5 SLIAC), Fontbonne 17-8 (4-5 SLIAC)
How It Happened
It was a scoreless contest until the top of the third when the Panthers plated three runs on two hits. They went on to plate three more in the fifth to push its lead out to 6-0.
However, that advantage was short-lived. In the bottom half, the bases were loaded for Dobbs and just one away. He was able to clear the bases with a double to left and give Fontbonne some life back as they trailed 6-3.
Later in the inning, Dobbs scored on a passed ball to make it 6-4. Then, after Matt Tossick hit a single, Jackson Penrod ripped a two-run shot to left, his first on the year, to tie the game up at 6-6.
However, the Panthers put the game away in the seventh after scoring five runs on two hits and were helped-out by a Griffins error to make it 11-6. Fontbonne got one of those runs back in the eighth, but the comeback was not to be with Principia going on for the win.
- Dobbs led in the RBI department with three.
- Tossick, Penrod, Purshke, and Tyler Chambliss had one hit each. Penrod added two RBI.
- On the bump, Tyler Scott fell to 0-2 after allowing six runs (three earned) and sitting down five.
- Sean Hanna got the win out of the pen allowing just one run in 3.0 innings pitched.
- Offensively, the Panthers scattered 13 hits.
- Hanna and Zach Greenie combined to go 6-for-10 with four runs scored and two RBI.
- The Griffins are back in action this Sunday when they'll pay a visit to Blackburn. First-pitch at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).