EUREKA, Ill.—The Fontbonne University baseball team plated 10 runs in the final two innings en route to the 14-7 series win over Eureka on Sunday.
Score: Fontbonne 14, Eureka 7
Location: Eureka, Ill.
Records: Fontbonne (16-7; 3-4 SLIAC), Eureka (7-12; 3-6 SLIAC)
How It Happened
The Griffins got on the board in the first plating two runs and were helped by a Red Devils throwing error. In the second, Joey Casey was on first and he scored on Jonathan Hoevelmann's RBI double to right-center to extend the advantage out to 3-0.
However, in the home half of the fourth, the Red Devils plated four runs on two hits, and were helped by one Fontbonne error to take the one-run lead.
Gus Purschke stepped up and singled up the middle, plating Puckett, Jr., to tie the game. Lance Chapman kept the line moving with an RBI single of his own to make it 6-5. The team tacked on two more runs to own an 8-5 advantage.
Eureka answered with two runs in the bottom half, but the Griffins put the outing away in the ninth. Puckett, Jr., led off with a solo shot and Hoevelmann closed the inning out on a grand slam, his first on the year, to give them the 14-7 win.
- Tyler Heitmann came out of the pen to earn his first win on the year after tossing 1.2 innings of scoreless ball.
- Hoevelmann's homer was his third in his career and first collegiate grand slam. His five RBI performance was also a career-high.
- Purschke went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Luke Summers, Dobbs, Puckett, Jr., Tossick, Chapman, and Tyler Chambliss all contributed an RBI.
- Joe Quinn took the loss out of the pen going 0.1 innings, allowing three earned runs.
- Sean Green led at the dish going 3-for-4 with three runs scored.
- The team returns to action at home on Tuesday night when they'll host Principia. First-pitch at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).