TERRE HAUTE, Ind.—The (RV) Fontbonne University baseball team dropped a heartbreaker in the ninth inning against Rose-Hulman on Tuesday as the Griffins fell, 11-10.
Score: Rose-Hulman 11, Fontbonne 10
Location: Terre Haute, Ind.
Records: Rose-Hulman 7-5, Fontbonne 13-2
How It Happened
After Rose-Hulman took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first, the Griffins answered in the third. Jonathan Hoevelmann reached base on an error with two outs.
After stealing second, Gus Purschke reached base on an error as well to put runners on the corners. Hoevelmann went on to score on a wild pitch and Jackson Penrod brought Purschke home on an RBI single to make it a 2-2 contest.
In the home half, though the Fightin' Engineers plated five runs on three hits to own a 7-2 lead. Fontbonne got one of those runs back in the fourth and added on from there in the fifth.
Purschke led off with a single and moved up a base on Penrod's walk. After Braeden Dobbs reached base on an error to load them up, the Griffins made it a 7-4 game on Michael Puckett, Jr., sacrifice-fly that scored Purschke.
After a walk to Luke Summers, Matt Tossick stepped into the dish and cleared the bases with a double to tie the game at 7-7. He came in on to score on Tyler Chambliss' RBI single to give Fontbonne its first lead of the game.
In the bottom of the seventh, however, Luke Kluemper tied it on a fielder's choice that scored Brian Pershing, who got things started with a one out hit-by-pitch. Then, Zach Witonsky gave the Fightin' Engineers the lead back on an RBI single.
They tacked on two more in the eighth and headed into the ninth inning on top, 11-8. Things got interesting in the ninth with Luke Summers hitting a one out single.
He raced home on Tossick's RBI triple to center to trim the deficit down to 11-9. Chambliss came through once more with an RBI single and now it was 11-10.
Hoevelmann hit an infield single to put the leading run on first base. After a pop-out, Penrod ripped a single to right, however, Harris Camp threw out the Griffins runner at the plate to end the game and give Rose-Hulman the one-run win.
- Tossick led the Griffins offensively going 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a season-high five RBI.
- Chambliss went 3-of-5 with two RBI. Penrod tied his season-high with three hits.
- Summers added two hits, while Hoevelmann, Purschke, and Dobbs had one.
- On the bump, John Hughes got the no-decision after allowing seven runs (three earned) in 3.0 innings.
- Mike Jacobson was dealt his first loss out of the pen allowing two runs on three hits and sitting down three in 4.0 innings.
- David Burnside posted a 3-for-4 line with three runs scored and one RBI.
- Witonsky and Shane Garner had two RBI each.
- On the bump, Stone Brogan got the win after going 2.1 innings, allowing no runs and striking out four.
- Adam Taylor came out of the pen in the ninth to secure his second save.
- The Griffins are back in action this weekend when they'll host Spalding on Saturday. First-pitch at 1 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).