ST. LOUIS, Mo.—After closing out its spring break trip 5-1, the (RV) Fontbonne University baseball team looks to tack on two more wins against Robert Morris-Springfield on Friday afternoon. First-pitch of the doubleheader starts at 2 p.m.
Robert Morris-Springfield (3-3) vs. (RV) Fontbonne (11-1)
When: March 15th, 2019
Where: CarShield Field
Time: 2 & 4 p.m.
A Look At The Griffins
- The Griffins are coming off a strong trip to Florida. The team batted .299, totaled 59 hits, 55 runs scored, 11 doubles, three homers and 45 RBI.
- On the bump, the team compiled a 3.67 ERA in 49.0 innings of work and totaled 56 strikeouts.
- The duo of Luke Summers and Jonathan Hoevelmann went on to be named SLIAC Pitcher and Hitter of the Week after displaying dominant performances.
- Summers went 2-0 with a 0.64 ERA in 14.0 innings and struck out 22 batters.
- Hoevelmann, meanwhile, batted a team-high .522, to go along with his 12 hits, 11 runs scored, and 10 stolen bases.
- On the year, the Griffins are batting .287 and are led by Hoevelmann's .469 clip. He's leading the Griffins in hits (23), runs scored (20), and stolen bases (16). He currently ranks second nationally in stolen bases.
- Braeden Dobbs owns a .370 average and paces them in the RBI department with 15.
- Gus Purschke has been another spark in the lineup with his .357 average and team-high five doubles.
- Lance Chapman (.353) and Jackson Penrod (.302) are each batting over .300 on the season.
- On the mound, the staff own a team ERA of 2.83 thus far.
- Summers leads with a 4-0 record, to go along with his 46 strikeouts and 0.60 ERA.
- Alex Phillips is off to a 2-0 start and has a 1.83 ERA in 19.2 innings pitched.
- John Hughes (two), Mike Jacobson (two), and Jake Jump (one) each have recorded wins on the year as well.
A Look At The Robert Morris-Springfield Eagles
- The Eagles are coming off a series split against Robert Morris University-Peoria where they won game one 12-2, but fell 13-3 in the finale.
- On the year, they're batting .294 as a team and they're led by Alston Howard's .533 average.
- Zak Merchant is hitting .476 and leads the Eagles with 10 hits.
- On the mound, the Eagles have a team ERA of 6.57.
- Austin Whitlock is 2-0 and is tied for the team-high with 10 strikeouts.
- Michael Shriver is 0-1 and has 10 strikeouts as well.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).