AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Fontbonne University baseball team closed out its trip to Florida with its 11th win on the year after defeating St. Scholastica, 11-1 (7 inn.)
Final: Fontbonne 11, St. Scholastica 1
Location: Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Fontbonne 11-1, St. Scholastica 1-2
How It Happened
Jackson Penrod brought Hoevelmann home with an RBI groundout to give them a 1-0 lead. Braeden Dobbs kept the scoring frenzy going with an RBI single of his own to plate Purschke and extend it out to 2-0. Lance Chapman followed with an RBI double to score Dobbs to put Fontbonne ahead by three.
The Saints got one of those runs back in the third, but Fontbonne responded in the home half on Chapman's two-run shot, his first on the year, to give the Griffins a commanding 5-1 lead.
From there, the team scored three in the fourth and three in the fifth to take an 11-1 lead. With Summers shutting down the final 13 Saints hitters, the Griffins went on for the mercy-rule 11-1 win.
- Summers improved to 4-0 on the year and struck out 11 batters for the second straight start.
- At the dish, Penrod led going 1-for-3 with a season-high four RBI.
- Chapman ended his day 2-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI.
- Purschke and Dobbs had two hits and an RBI each. Purschke scored a team-high three runs.
St. Scholastica Notables
- Starter Grant Mergen allowed 11 runs (six earned) in 4.2 innings pitched. He also struck out six and walked six as well.
- Cole Tyman had the lone RBI and tied Jerry Gooley with one hit each.
- The Griffins are back at it in front of the home crowd on Friday as they'll take on Robert Morris-Springfield. First-pitch at 2 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).