KISSIMMEE, Fla.—The Fontbonne University baseball teams' offense scored early and often in the 12-2 (7 inn.) win over Penn St. Brandywine to improve to 8-0 on the year.
Final: Fontbonne 12, Penn St. Brandywine 2
Location: Kissimmee, Fla.
Records: Fontbonne 8-0, Penn St. Brandywine 5-5
How It Happened
After another walk to Braeden Dobbs, the Griffins took a 2-0 lead on Matt Tossick's single to center. Two batters later, the line kept moving with Tyler Grimes getting hit-by-pitch with the bases loaded to score Dobbs and make it 3-0.
From there, Matt Manint reached base on an error to score Tossick. Tyler Chambliss kept it going with a single of his own, plating Grimes and Gunnison Heine. The team ended up batting around and Penrod closed out the inning with a two out two RBI single of his own to give Fontbonne a commanding 8-0 lead.
With Alex Phillips on the bump that was more than enough. The hurler sat down 13 straight from the end of the first until the sixth inning. Offensively, the Griffins added another run in the third and sixth, along with two more in the seventh for the 10-run victory.
- Alex Phillips improved to 2-0 on the year after allowing two runs on four hits and striking out five.
- Tyler Chambliss led at the dish going 3-for-4 with two runs scored and a season-high three RBI.
- Tossick went 1-for-3 with three RBI as well.
- Purschke led in the hits department going 3-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI.
Penn St. Brandywine Notables
- Starter Kevin Sessa was unable to get out of the first after allowing eight runs (six earned).
- Joe Hurley went 1-for-3 at the leadoff spot with two RBI.
The Griffins return to action tomorrow afternoon at 1:15 p.m., as they'll take on Trine.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).