AUBURNDALE, Fla.—Behind another stellar outing from starter Luke Summers, the Fontbonne University baseball team improved to 7-0 overall after a 6-0 win over Emerson.
Final: Fontbonne 6, Emerson 0
Location: Auburndale, Fla.
Records: Fontbonne 7-0, Emerson 1-5
How It Happened
The Griffins got on the board first with Jonathan Hoevelmann getting hit-by-pitch to start the game off. After stealing second and third, the third baseman came on home as Jackson Penrod reached base on a fielder's choice to make it 1-0.
They tacked on another in the third with Michael Puckett, Jr., sacrifice-fly bringing home Hoevelmann, who led off with a single, to make it 2-0.
In the fifth, the runs kept coming in on. Braeden Dobbs recorded an RBI single to score Penrod while Matt Tossick grounded into a double play, but Puckett, Jr., touched home on the play to extend the lead out to 4-0.
With Summers on the bump that proved to be more than enough as they added another in the sixth and the eighth for the shutout win.
- Summers hasn't allowed a run in his last 15.0 innings of work. Today, the junior went 7.0 innings and struck out 11.
- Offensively, the Griffins scattered seven hits.
- Hoevelmann extended his hit streak to five after going 3-for-4 with three runs scored. He also stole a season-high four bases.
- Dobbs finished 2-for-5 with a team-high two RBI.
- Nick Rempe took the loss after allowing five runs (four earned) in 5.2 innings of work. He struck out six, but walked seven.
- The Lions ended with nine hits. Quinton Copeland totaled a team-high two.
- Seven others had one hit.
- The Griffins are right back at it tomorrow afternoon when they'll take on Penn St. Brandywine. First-pitch at 3:15 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).