MEMPHIS, Tenn.—For the second straight day, the Fontbonne University baseball team displayed quality pitching and timely hitting as the Griffins went on for the 3-1 win over Rhodes.
Final: Fontbonne 3, Rhodes 1
Location: Memphis, Tenn.
Records: Fontbonne 2-0, Rhodes 2-4
How It Happened
In the bottom of the second, the Lynx got on the board on an RBI groundout from Ben Wilson that scored Nick Bosma who led off with a single.
In the fourth, though the Griffins got that run back. Jonathan Hoevelmann reached base on a Lynx error and went on to steal second and third. He went on to touch home on Jackson Penrod's RBI groundout to tie it up.
That score remained the same up until the ninth. Gus Purschke got things started with a one out single to right-center and advanced to second on an error. After a passed ball, a groundout, and a walk to Michael Puckett, Jr., the Griffins had runners on the corners for Braeden Dobbs.
A wild pitch moved Puckett, Jr., up to second. Then, Dobbs came through with a single to right-center and that plated the duo to give Fontbonne a two-run lead.
Mike Jacobson came on in relief and despite the Lynx bringing the tying run to the plate, the St. Louis, Mo., native, secured the save for the Griffins.
- Alex Phillips got the ball in his debut for the Griffins and dominated with 8.0 innings of six-hit ball, allowing one run and sitting down four.
- Hoevelmann, Purschke, Matt Tossick, and Matt Manint all registered hits for Fontbonne.
- The Lynx got a solid start out of John Ganucheau who also went 8.0 innings and struck out five.
- Nick Bosma was dealt the loss allowing two runs in his one inning of work.
- Bosma led them at the dish going 2-for-4 with one run scored.
- Paul Giacomazzi, Jacob Telli, Will Heurtin, Ryan Palermo, and Wood Kimbrough had one hit a piece.
- Fontbonne has its home opener next Saturday when they'll take on Lawrence. First-pitch at 2:30 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).