MEMPHIS, Tenn.— Behind Luke Summers career-high 15 strikeout performance, the Fontbonne University baseball team opened its 2019 campaign with a 3-1 win over Greenville.
Final: Fontbonne 3, Greenville 1
Location: Memphis, Tenn.
Records: Fontbonne 1-0, Greenville 0-1
How It Happened
In the first, the Panthers got on the board. After three straight one-out singles, the Panthers had the bases loaded for Andrew Torbeck.
He went on to register an RBI ground-out that scored Ryan Taylor, who got the first hit for Greenville, to give them the 1-0 lead. Summers was able to strike out the next batter to escape without much damage.
That score remained the same until the bottom of the third. Hoevelmann was yet again hit-by-pitch to leadoff and moved up to second with another stolen base. After a groundout, he scored on Jackson Penrod's single to right-center to make it a 2-1 game.
In the fifth, the Griffins added an insurance run off the bat of Braden Dobbs as his single scored Penrod, who was hit-by-pitch earlier in the inning, to extend the lead out to 3-1.
With Summers on the mound that proved to be more than enough. After a walk to Matthew Schroeder in the top of the second, the St. Louis, Mo., native, sat down the next 16 batters in order up until the top of the eighth when Clarence Falls worked a walk. Summers closed out his day, though striking out the side.
John Hughes came on in the ninth to secure the save and give Fontbonne the 3-1 win.
- Luke Summers went 8.0 innings, allowing one run on three hits and walked just two.
- Purschke led at the dish with two doubles and an RBI.
- Penrod, Dobbs, Tyler Grimes, and Tyler Chambliss each had one hit.
- Ryan Taylor, Klaiton Wolff and Sam Hodges all collected hits for Greenville.
- Starter Lukas Whitten was dealt the loss after going 6.0 innings, allowing three runs on six hits and sitting down three.
- Fontbonne takes on host Rhodes tomorrow afternoon. First-pitch at 2 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the baseball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).