MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa.—The Fontbonne University women's volleyball team fell in straight sets against Iowa Wesleyan on Saturday.
Final: Iowa Wesleyan 3, Fontbonne 0 (25-21, 25-19, 25-19)
Location: Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Records: Iowa Wesleyan (7-9; 3-3 SLIAC), Fontbonne (1-14; 1-5 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first set, things started out well for Fontbonne as they opened with a 14-6 lead after consecutive service aces from Taylor Jackson. However, the Tigers answered with a 12-1 run of its own to take the 18-15 advantage.
Fontbonne cut it down to 23-21 on a Tigers attack error, though IWU fended off Fontbonne for the opening 25-21 win.
In the second set, it was back-and-forth play throughout with the two teams meeting-up at 10-10. Later, a kill from Jackson put Fontbonne down 18-16, however, the Tigers closed out the set on a 7-3 run for the 25-19 victory.
IWU responded with a 7-0 run of its own and never looked back from there going on for the 25-19 set and match win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne totaled 36 kills and a .147 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, they came away with 40 digs, but committed 12 service errors.
- Iowa Wesleyan ended with 26 kills and a .202 hitting percentage.
- Rabun led with a match-high 11 kills and a season-high .667 hitting percentage.
- Andrews added 10 kills of her own.
- Setter Abby Grumich handed out a season-high 22 assists and Megan Schaller led defensively with 12 digs.
Iowa Wesleyan Leaders
- The Tigers got a nine-kill performance from Lida Landre.
- Setter Paige Kammerer recorded a double-double with 11 assists and 11 digs.
- Jenna Murphy contributed a match-high 15 digs.
The Griffins return to action at home against Principia. First-service at 7 p.m.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's volleyball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).