ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team will get its 2019-20 season underway on Tuesday with an exhibition contest against the University of Missouri Tigers.
Fontbonne (0-0) at Missouri (0-0)
When: October 29th, 2019
Where: Columbia, Mo.
Live Stats: HERE
A Look At The Griffins
- The Griffins are coming off an 11-14 (7-9 SLIAC) 2018-19 campaign.
- This year, the team was picked to finish tied for fifth in the SLIAC Preseason Poll.
- The Griffins bring back leading scorer and SLIAC All-Conference Second Team honoree, Rylee Stafford. The Jackson, Mo., native, averaged a team-high 15.4 points a season ago, shot 39.5 percent from the floor, and 78.6 percent from the free throw line. She also set career-highs in rebounds (115), assists (51), and steals (51).
- Raven Venegas is back for her senior season and looks to build off her 12.2 points and career-high 54.7 field goal percentage.
- The team will brings back six other returners and welcomes and seven newcomers to the roster that look to push the Griffins into the SLIAC Tournament this year.
A Look At The Missouri Tigers
- The Tigers ended 2018-19 24-11 overall and 10-6 in the SEC.
- The team will be looking to replace Sophie Cunningham who ended last year averaging 17.8 points, shooting 48.1 percent from the floor, 40.3 percent from downtown, and 83.9 percent from the charity-stripe. She accounted for numerous program records and became the first player in program history to earn Associated Press All-America Third Team honors.
- This year, the Tigers already have a game under its belt after defeating Truman State 94-55 in an exhibition contest.
- In that outing, the team shot 52.1 percent from the floor and drained 12 3-pointers.
- Freshman Aijha Blackwell, who was ranked the No. 1 prospect in the state of Missouri by ESPNW and Prospect Nation, debuted with a 25-point performance in 25 minutes off the bench.
- Hayley Frank, the No. 2 prospect in the state of Missouri by ESPNW, went 9-of-12 from the floor to conclude with 22 points off the bench.
- Starters Amber Smith and Jordan Roundtree added 13 and 11 points, respectively.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).