ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team dropped a tough 65-60 outing against Spalding on Saturday to close out its 2018-19 season. Prior to the game started, the team honored Paige Black on Senior Day.
Score: Spalding 65, Fontbonne 60
Where: St. Louis, Mo. (DSAC)
Records: Spalding (19-6; 14-2 SLIAC), Fontbonne (11-14; 7-9 SLIAC)
How It Happened
In the first, the Griffins started out cold going 3-of-10 from the floor and with Spalding shooting 50.0 percent from the floor, the Golden Eagles grabbed a 19-9 lead after 10:00 minutes of action.
In the second, in just one minute and 20 seconds, the Griffins went on a 7-2 run to cut the deficit down to 21-16 on Rylee Stafford's 3-pointer.
Later, Fontbonne trailed 26-20, but five consecutive points from Stafford in 25.0 seconds put the Griffins down 26-25 with 4:27 remaining. However, the Golden Eagles closed out the half on an 8-2 run to own a 34-27 lead at the break.
In the third, neither team shot over 28.0 percent from the floor, but the Griffins controlled the glass with a 14-8 advantage. At 7:43, two consecutive free throws from Hunter Wright gave Spalding a 36-31 lead.
From there, though the Griffins rattled off a 6-0 run over the next minute and 32 seconds to take a 37-36 advantage on Raven Venegas' layup. The two teams went back-and-forth the rest of the way and were all tied up at 44-44 heading into the fourth.
In the fourth, the Griffins forced a couple steals that turned into quick baskets to give them a 48-44 lead. Spalding went on to regain the advantage and stretch it out to 59-51 with 3:10 left on Megan Goeing's bucket.
The Griffins, though kept battling as a 7-0 run in one minute and 28 seconds put them down just 59-58 on Black's layup. Spalding never relinquished the lead despite the Griffins efforts and went on for the five-point win.
Inside The Numbers
- Fontbonne shot 30.6 percent from the floor but had its struggles from downtown going 4-of-26 (15.4 percent).
- Spalding connected on 41.3 percent of its attempts and outrebounded Fontbonne, 42-39.
- Fontbonne totaled 22 points on Spalding's turnovers.
- The Golden Eagles had a 32-22 advantage in the paint.
- Stafford led all scorers with a game-high 24 points on 5-of-14 shooting. She also went 11-of-12 from the line.
- Black, meanwhile, had 12 points, seven rebounds, four assists, and four steals. She ends the 2018-19 season with 100 steals to become just the second player all-time to accumulate at least 100 steals in a season.
- Wright led Spalding with a team-high 14 points and seven rebounds.
- Alex Martin went 5-of-13 to finish with 13 points and tied Wright with seven boards.
- Tse Gahagan and Megan Goeing finished with 10 points each.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates on the women's basketball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).