Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Griffins Fall In Overtime Against Monmouth

Griffins Fall In Overtime Against Monmouth

MONMOUTH, Ill.—The Fontbonne University women's basketball team dropped its second straight game in tough fashion on Saturday, falling 78-69 (OT) against Monmouth College.

With 2:09 left in regulation, the Griffins (3-2) took a 65-63 lead on Kaitlynn Walker's made jumper. The Ladue, Missouri, native, had herself an afternoon with a season-high 18 points on 5-of-13 shooting off the bench.

On the ensuing possession, Monmouth (1-2) tied it up on Becca Gallis' made jumper. Neither team could score the final one minute and 44 seconds so it was off to overtime.

In the OT, Raven Venegas gave FBU the lead at 67-65 just 22.0 seconds in. However, the Scots rattled off an 11-0 run and closed out the five minutes outscoring Fontbonne 13-4, winning by nine.

Overall, the Griffins shot 42.6 percent from the floor and totale 12 steals. The team struggled from downtown though, going 2-of-15 and were out-rebounded 44-35 on the glass.

Behind Walker, Venegas totaled 11 points and grabbed down eight boards, while Sarah Schraut tied her season-high with 10 points.

Monmouth, meanwhile, was led off the bench by Gallis' game-high 21 points on 8-of-14 shooting, including going 4-of-8 from beyond-the-arc. Tia Robertson also played a key role off the bench with her 16 points and 11 boards. Carley Turnbull was the final player to reach double-figures, netting 15.

In the first quarter, Monmouth jumped out to a 10-7 lead on Robertson's made lay-up at 4:10. They stretched it out to 15-9 less than two minutes later, but FBU's Rylee Stafford cut into that deficit prior to the quarter ending with her made lay-up to make it a 17-13 game.

In the second, the Griffins came out shooting by going on a 6-0 run in two minutes time, capped off by Walker's made lay-up to give them the 19-17 advantage.

After Monmouth tied it at 19-all, lay-ups from Venegas and Schraut pushed the lead out to 23-19 with six minutes to go and that forced the Scots to take a timeout.

Nothing changed after the break, FBU went on a 7-0 run over the next four minutes and six seconds to take its largest lead of the game (32-21). The Scots tried to get back in it at 32-26 just before the one minute mark on Robertson's made lay-up.

However, Fontbonne kept its lead intact the rest of the way and headed into the locker room on top, 35-27.

In the third, FBU held onto its marginal lead up until the 6:27 mark when Gallis drained her 3-pointer to give Monmouth the lead back 39-38.

The Griffins got the lead back and gained some breathing room with 3:11 to go on Mallory Proffer's 3-pointer. Monmouth once again tied it at 45-all, however, on the ensuing possession, Walker sank her 3-pointer to give them the 48-45 lead going into the fourth.

It was a battle in the fourth with each team going bucket-for-bucket. With 5:01 on the clock, the Scots were on top 58-56.

Walker changed that as she went down the court, knocked in her shot and got fouled on the play. She capped off the old-fashioned 3-point play with a made free throw to give FBU a 59-58 lead.

The two teams met-up once more at 65-65 and with 33.0 seconds left, the Griffins called a timeout to draw up a play. The team found Colleen Ahearn in the corner but her shot missed.

Monmouth got the rebound and hurried down the court. Keri Dodson's shot, though missed off back iron and it was time for OT. From there, the Scots took over and went on for the nine point win.

Fontbonne returns to the court tomorrow afternoon as they'll take on Knox College. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m.

Fans make sure to stay updated on throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the women's basketball team.