ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University softball team led late against WashU on Tuesday, however, the Bears plated three runs in the sixth to hang on for the 3-2 win.
Score: WashU 3, Fontbonne 2
Location: WashU Softball Field
Records: WashU 13-11, Fontbonne 7-20
How It Happened
It was a scoreless game up until the top of the third. Daisy Watkins singled and advanced to second on a Bears throwing error. After a sacrifice-bunt, she touched home on Gracie Morris' RBI sacrifice-fly to make it 1-0.
However, the Bears answered in the bottom of the sixth. With two on and two outs, Julia Flores doubled to right-center, plating Kristen Drabek and Taylor Arends to take the 2-1 lead. Kendall Schwartze added an RBI single of her own to extend the Bears advantage to 3-1.
In the seventh, Melanie Russo led off and belted her fourth on the year to trim the deficit down to 3-2. The Griffins, though were held scoreless the rest of the way with the Bears going on for the win.
- Starter Lexi Becker go the no-decision going 3.0 innings, allowing no runs and one hit.
- Diamond Thomas fell to 3-8 after allowing three runs in 3.0 innings.
- Thomas has reached safely in her last 10 games at the plate going 2-for-3.
- Russo and Watkins added the other hits.
- Abby Graegin got the win allowing one run on two hits and striking out one in 3.0 innings.
- Schwartz led at the plate going 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- The team returns to action tomorrow back at ABC Ballpark when they'll take on Westminster. First-pitch at 3.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the softball team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).