ST. LOUIS, Mo.—The Fontbonne University men's soccer team hits the road to begin its 2018 season as they'll take on Aurora on Friday at 7 p.m. On Sunday, they'll square off against Dominican at 2:45 p.m.
A Look At The Griffins
- Fontbonne is coming off an impressive 13-5-1 (8-1 SLIAC) 2017 campaign. The team claimed the SLIAC Regular Season Championship for the first time since 2013 under head coach, Donnie Alberty's first year at the helm. Alberty went on to be named SLIAC Coach of the Year.
- This year, the Griffins will be looking to replace departed seniors and All-Conference selectees, Greg Ferry, Corey Schmidt, Jordan Alberici, and Tony Pitaro.
- The team will welcome back Nick Wolf, Blake Smugala and Nick Nelson, whom were also named to the SLIAC All-Conference Team in 2017.
- The team returns seven starters and will welcome in 13 newcomers that'll look to keep the Griffins atop the SLIAC standings in 2018.
A Look At The Aurora Spartans
- The Spartans ended the 2017 season 12-8 overall and 7-3 in conference play
- The team finished with 54 goals last season and allowed just 38.
- Aurora was picked to finish fourth in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) this season.
- They'll return its four top goal scorers, including Collin Foreman, who finished with 12 goals and six assists.
- In goal, starter Phillip Lewy is gone after he picked up all 12 wins last year and owned a 1.64 GAA.
- The team will return Elias Rojas in goal as he appeared in five games, totaling 118:03 minutes and made eight saves.
A Look At The Dominican Stars
- The Stars are coming off a 14-5 overall record in 2017. The team won the NACC Tournament and advanced to the NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship in Chicago, Ill.
- The team accumulated 67 goals and allowed just 26. Nicolo Vitale led with a team-high 15 goals, while Adam Yaghmour netted 14.
- This year, the Stars were tabbed to finish first in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference Preseason Poll.
- 2017 NACC Defensive Player of the Year, Michael Delaney, will return to lead the back line.
- Dominican loses Yaghmour offensively, however, Vitale is back for his junior year to lead an offensive group that averaged 3.5 goals per game.
Fans make sure to stay updated on fontbonnegriffins.com throughout the year for full updates and recaps on the men's soccer team.
Make sure to follow us on all our social media accounts: Twitter (@FBUGriffins), Instagram (@fbugriffins) and Facebook (/FontbonneUGriffins).